Archive for September, 2008

In the Works

Posted in Uncategorized on September 24, 2008 by heart4kids

We’ve been informed that our dossier has in fact been received again at the office of the adoption ministry in Ukraine.  Now we are praying that it will be acceptable this time!  We are thankful that it didn’t go to the end of the line, which would have meant getting reviewed some time next year.  We are waiting now for the word that it has been approved, and for the date that we are to appear in Ukraine.  We’re holding our breath!


One more try

Posted in Uncategorized on September 18, 2008 by heart4kids

Marina is 12 and loves poetry

On Monday our dossier is to be submitted one more time for approval by the adoption ministry in Ukraine. It’s unclear exactly why it was rejected last week, but by adding some new documents we are hoping it will be acceptable now. Pray with us that it gets approved this time!!

We just found out that we have been granted some funds from another foundation to help with our travel expenses! We are very hopeful that everything is going to come together soon.

“For the Lord is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting, and His faithfulness to all generations.”  Psalm 100:5

Paperwork on the way?

Posted in Uncategorized on September 17, 2008 by heart4kids

We completed all the necessary paperwork last week and it was sent to Sacramento to be “apostilled”. (This is the process that certifies that the notaries are valid.) We just got word that 2 of the 3 documents arrived safely in Ukraine.  The third somehow got lost in Sacramento, but now has been relocated.  It should be on the way to Ukraine now, and in theory everything is to be re-submitted on Monday!

Possible set-back

Posted in Uncategorized on September 10, 2008 by heart4kids

We just got a call to tell us that our dossier was rejected by the Ukraine government because of a technicality. Apparently a new requirement is in effect for a document that our agency wasn’t aware of. We are going to scramble today to get this taken care of. The two other families adopting from our area are in the same boat. Hopefully the issue can be resolved quickly. Worst case is they could send us to the end of the line, meaning it wouldn’t get reviewed again until next year.  Thankfully, I am still home so we can notarize these papers! (I leave for Dubai Friday.)

Some people are predicting that Ukraine could soon come under the kind of attack from Russia that Georgia has suffered. See this article from yesterday’s Wall Street Journal:

Extension on deadline

Posted in Uncategorized on September 10, 2008 by heart4kids

Aza, the oldest sister will turn 15 on October 1

Thankfully, it looks like we will have until the end of September to make the final payment of the fees to the adoption agency! We are delighted that we now have almost 60% of the final payment, thanks to the generous giving of many caring people! Pray with us about the remaining funds required.

A generous family gave us a beautiful bunk bed for the girls to use, and we are getting it set up in their room. We can’t wait until the girls are home with us. With the insecurities now in Eastern Europe we are getting more anxious to finalize this process.

We are still waiting anxiously to hear what day we are required to appear in Ukraine.

Phone Contact!

Posted in Uncategorized on September 3, 2008 by heart4kids

We just succeeded in making phone contact with the girls this morning!  This is the first contact we’ve had since I saw them in May.  It was great to hear their voices again.  They said they never received the package I sent a couple months ago with photos and things.  Not too surprising.  They did have a good time at the Black Sea where they spent most of the summer with the other orphanage kids.  Now they’ve started school again.  They all want to know how soon we can come get them!  We told them to pray hard, and we’ll come as soon as we can.

Travel Schedule??

Posted in Uncategorized on September 2, 2008 by heart4kids

We are still waiting to hear when they want us to appear in Ukraine. I am hoping and praying that it won’t conflict with my work schedule. My company has me scheduled for 3 weeks of training in Montreal starting Oct 29. It was very difficult for them to book this training for me and it can’t be changed. We are hoping that we can go to Ukraine early in October. The trip to Ukraine will probably require about 3 weeks to accomplish all of the formalities. Pray with us that it all comes together in the right timing! Also we are still seeking the remaining funding. There is a foundation who may give us some help but we are still waiting for their answer.

This is Karina the day she arrived at our home last summer.

We just heard today that all the kids are back at the orphanage after their summer retreat. We are going to try to make a phone call to them in the next week.